For the most part, this is the same information you can read in the About page. So, if you read that, feel free to skip this long introduction.
I’m Shani, a mother of two daughters and wife to a wonderful husband, Bill. I have one brother and am the daughter of two amazing parents who raised me in a loving and educational environment. I grew up in a family who dabbled in a variety of cultural experiences. A huge part of my life and our big family activity included theater performance. And, to this day both my brother and myself are professional actors (on a small-scale).
I named this blog the “Learned Mom” because education is a driving force in my life. I am interested in so many things and love learning about a myriad of topics. Not only do I have a desire for learning, I am also a lover of self-improvement topics. My educational background includes Speech Language Pathology, Library and Information Science, and courses in Financial Planning. I am blessed with the option to be a stay-at-home mom while pursuing my acting and singing interests. As I write this, I realize how unfocused I appear which leads me to why I chose to write this blog. Through writing, I am hoping to find a way to focus and hone all my interests while keeping a clean house and maintaining sanity.
What I Love and What I Plan on Writing About
- My family and parenting: I love being with my family and want to focus on spending more quality time with them. I also want to improve my parenting skills, especially since my oldest will be a teenager soon.
- A Clean House: I love the idea of having a clean house, but I am nowhere near having this. I want to improve this area of my life in a major way.
- Cooking: I love cooking healthy and frugal meals although it is hard to find the time to do this. I have just jumped into the world of freezer cooking.
- Reading: I am trying to read at least one book per month. I am also trying to get my kids to read more. In this day and age of the iPod, technology seems to have taken precedence over reading a good book.
- Crocheting and other crafts: During the last year, I learned how to crochet and opened up an Etsy store. YarnKnitDarnIt. Right now, I don’t have anything in my store because I am taking a break to focus on my blogging.
- Personal finance: I enjoy seeing where we can cut back on our spending and look for creative ways to do that.
- Fashion and Beauty: It seems that when I hit 40, I suddenly felt frumpy. Recently, I started following mom fashion bloggers to help pull me out of this frumpy mommy mess.
- Health and Fitness: As a performer, it is important for me to maintain a certain physique and to be healthy. I am not always the best at following through with my health and fitness goals, but I plan on trying harder in the coming months.
- Homeschooling: I homeschooled my oldest daughter until she was in 4th grade and my youngest until 2nd grade. I am still in love with the idea of homeschooling. In fact, over the summer we homeschool.
- Products I Love: As I come across new products that I love, I like to share them with other people.
What I want from this blog:
I hope to connect and engage with other moms who have similar interests to mine. I hope you enjoy reading my posts and that you share your personal experiences and tips with me.
Initially, I plan on posting once per week on Fridays. Eventually, I would like to expand my posting days to three days per week. Please subscribe to my newsletter and get a free guide on how to stretch your food budget.[yks-mailchimp-list id=”5b959753e0″ submit_text=”Subscribe here.”]